Friday, 21 November 2014

A Massage at the Palace


Lisbon is a very busy city and even if you’re sightseeing in the end of the day you often feel tired and weary so, we have the solution for you: a massage! 

Due to the stressful live we have, we tend to ignore the signals that our body is constantly sending us, is time to give the attention it deserves.

It may begin with a small symptom but it can turn in something more profound, and easily become a more serious problem. An easy and natural way to solve these troubles is the oldest therapy existing, the massage.

The massage is probably the oldest therapeutic tool used by humans to communicate and provide a natural remedy for pain.

It is not, however, a complete system of treatment, but rather a complementary therapy which helps to improve the overall health of the patient, acting as a complement to conventional treatments.

The massage is an exchange of energy between two bodies. When giving or receiving a massage, not only muscles, skin and bones are manipulated, but also physical and mental energy is promoted.


This energy flows from the body of the person giving massage to the one who receives it. Through techniques such as sliding friction, stroking and kneading, that stimulate the circulatory, lymphatic, nervous and subtle or energy systems, thus eliminating fatigue, both mental and physical, and strengthening our body to face diseases and the lack of harmony.

The most recognizable massage effect is the relaxation of body and mind but, depending on the technique used and the speed and intensity of the movements, it can also be very invigorating.


At the Avenida Palace, we want you to feel good and relaxed after a day visiting Lisbon and so we have selected a series of massages that will help achieve that goal, keeping you ready for the next day!

Find out here all that we have to offer.

Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Instagram Art

Lisbon and Instagram a partnership that will surprise you and show you that photography will never be the same.

Who has not made a shot thinking it was art?  In the past most of those photos were always forgotten in a drawer. Today they came alive on the Internet.

There is a flood of self-expression on the Internet. Random pictures of cats, babies, meals, parties, selfies, buildings, concerts, cemeteries or clouds. Anything that our imagination contemplates in some cases apparently trash or, in others art.

People don’t just want to write about an event, they want to show it. Visual communication has become pervasive but is not worth romanticizing, being an artist is a journey that implies a history going through processes of legitimation, and being recognized by a community is not just taking 2 or 3 photos.


But the Internet has changed the rules on how art is created, validated and consumed. In the case of photography this is evident with the emergence of social networks and platforms such as Instagram, Pinterest, Ello, Flickr, Tumblr and many other.


Currently there is one exhibition in Lisbon that shows the permeability and the fine line between professional and some amateur photographers, in the Carpem Diem venue, in a show until December 20th, with twelve photographers, all of them coming from Instagram.


The Onframe / Carpe Diem Art and Research partnership started in November and will occupy the Green Room in Palácio Pombal, until December 20th. For its first photography exhibition, Onframe challenged a group of Instagramers to create a set of 9 photographies that contrast or live in harmony with the color of its own support, transporting the pictures and the Onframe to another dimension.

The Hotel Avenida Palace also owns a Instagram account, pay us a visit.


Monday, 17 November 2014

A Shared History: Treasures from the Royal Palaces of Spain.


Lisbon is again showing its cultural diversity, in an exhibition which presents several events shared by Portugal and Spain during 350 years.

In display until January 25th, the exhibition “A Shared History:  Treasures of the Royal Palaces of
Spain” is open at the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum as an initiative of Spain’s National Heritage Department, an institution that preserves the palaces currently used by the royal family, several convents founded by the royal house and their respective archives.

It is the belief of the organization that visitors will be surprised by the unprecedented character and artistic quality of the exhibition.

This presentation demonstrates the attention and care that the Spain’s Monarchy gives to the art from today and from the past. The pieces in display show different forms on the way Spanish monarchy image is transmitted, as an ideological tool of power or as a reflection of the tastes, experiences and occupations of the royal family.


The history of a country is built through relationships and mixture with other countries, other territories, other cultures. And of course, there were warlike and peaceful interconnections between the states that prevail on the Iberian Peninsula. The peaceful relationships enabled matrimonial and cultural ties.

In this exhibition, the events in Spanish history that were shared with Portugal over 350 years prevail. Through 141 works of art, a path in time is established, from Isabel a Católica, queen of Castela and Leão, and even of Aragão, by marriage to Fernando II in 1469, until Isabel de Bragança, queen of Spain, by marriage to Fernando VII who founded the Prado Museum.


Friday, 7 November 2014

A palatial live. 8 palace to visit part III

Lisbon in the past as today presents us with some of most beautiful buildings across Europe, buildings rich in architecture and classical design, here are 3 very good examples.

Machadinho Palace 

In the late eighteenth century, "O Machadinho" gentleman of the Royal Household, was built by José Pinto Machado, from the family of the Pinto Machado, whose members fought in the Restoration War. José Pinto Machado got rich with the tobacco business, from which he was the chief contractor and was the protégé of Marquês de Pombal and so, ascended socially and built this palace, in whose
facade his symbol is displayed.

The architect is unidentified but the style indicates that it may have been Manuel Caetano de Sousa, given the portal’s design. The construction works took place from 1755 to the late eighteenth century. On the ground floor - the store - were the stables, housing for coachmen and storerooms of supplies. The mezzanine with lower ceilings, where the chambers of the owner and the chaplain are located are connected to the back garden. Facing east is the kitchen and the annexes, facing west are the winter bedrooms.
On the second floor, is the noble part of the palace, with the ballroom, decorated with beautiful stuccos by Giovanni Grossi, and a living room, tiled in Italian Baroque from the D. João V period.

The third floor was occupied by the servants and small children’s rooms.
It was the residence of the Spanish Ambassador, and home of Julio de Castilho and later purchased by the Lima Mayer family in the late nineteenth century. In 1948, this palace was acquired by the City Hall, which restored it with tiles from other demolished palaces. It was an elementary school and headquarters of several municipal services. At present, it hosts the Direcção Municipal da Cultura. The gardens, renewed by Gonçalo Ribeiro Telles, have a Casa Fresco in Rococo style, from D. Maria I period.

Veva de Lima House - Chateau Ulrich 

It owes its name to the Ambassador Rui Ennes Ulrich and his wife Genoveva de Lima Mayer, whose literary name was Veva Lima. The mansion was built in 1894 by Joaquim Augusto de Carvalho Ponces, the first and only Conde de Vilar Seco. Subsequently inherited by the Anadia House.

In 1920, Dr. Rui Ulrich rents this palace to this family that carries out its recovery, with great pomp and indoor beautification. The house hosted the last Lisbon hall, within the context of the romantic tradition of assembly centers for important figures of the artistic literary circles and politicians. It is also one of the few remaining examples of the pre-twentieth century, which still maintains at the foyer and first floor, the entire original decoration and classical architecture.

The charismatic personality and taste of the writer and socialite, Veva Lima, are well marked on the interior, with its symbol (a butterfly flanked by two swans) visible in various parts of the house. The parties and gatherings of notable citizens between the years 1920 and 1940 were followed by a quieter period under the guidance of Mary Ulrich, daughter of Veva Lima, who devoted to educational activities and to the Catholic Action.

In 1980, the mansion is acquired by the City Hall and the Casa Veva de Lima Association is created, respecting the wishes of Mary Ulrich of preserving the traditions of cultural encounters and humanistic spirit, introduced by her parents. At the time of its construction, the palace had a magnificent view, including the Tejo River from its source to the estuary mouth, quite different from that tight space of nowadays.

Magalhães Palace

This palace is located on the street formerly called Corredoura or horses’ route. Built in the eighteenth century by the Spanish Visconde da Orta (1804-1873) its name would later be associated to his son-in-law, the Visconde de Magalhães, who worked on the improvement of the palace.

The building has three floors, and the entrance is made through a monumental door which, via an
arched ramp, leads to the rectangular courtyard, around which the building is organized. The Barão da Orta coat of arms, adorns the inner wall overlooking the main staircase, emphasizing 4 ceremonial rooms: the 4 Seasons Room with frescoes painting; the Nobre Room or the Mirrors Room with a ceiling painted in trompe l’oeil and stucco walls; the Mythology Room with portraits in relief stucco walls illustrating mythological figures and on the ceiling Minerva; the Direcção Room with frescoes of classical scenes.

The Winter Garden is another of the improvements made in the transition from the nineteenth to the twentieth century, a large and elegant structure in metal and glass connects the old building to the garden, this one probably from eighteenth century, designed in the Italian Baroque and in which remains the naturalist-backed stone fountain. The Palace was acquired in 1948, by the War Department to the Marquesa de Santa Cruz dos Manuelles, daughter and heiress of the Conde de Magalhães. It hosted the Cooperativa Militar, it belongs today to the IASFA - Institute for Social Action of the Armed Forces and it is linked to the nearby Ordem Soberana de Malta Palace, which shows on the facade the respective coat of arms.

Wednesday, 5 November 2014

A palatial live. 8 Palaces to visit part II


Lisbon doesn’t stop surprising us. There are many treasures to be found, and so, we leave you with 3 more palaces that deserve your visit.

Lead yourself into another era!

Mitra Palace

It shares this designation with other episcopal palaces.

Its origins date back to the seventeenth century, although there are no longer traces of the primitive country cottage that gave foundation to it. Much was improved and remodeled in the eighteenth century by D. Tomás de Almeida, the first Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon, and it even had a river dock at the front of the building. In 1834 it incorporated the Treasury. It was sold several times, being transformed by the owners, serving as the main office building of factories built in the grounds and in the old carriage house.

It is owned by the City Hall since 1930 and served as the City’s Museum for 30 years. It housed the headquarters of the Amigos de Lisboa association and currently it is used for receptions and other official events. It is classified as a Heritage of Public Interest.

Pimenta Palace 

Built in the first half of the eighteen century, it is known as Pimenta Palace (Pepper Palace), named after one of its last owners, or Campo Grande Palace, due to its urban location.

Despite its remarkable architectural quality, there are no references to its construction, and so its order or authorship remains unknown. Its characteristics and the construction period (Joanino) make us suspect the involvement of Ludovice and Carlos Mardel.

Classified as a Property of Public Interest, this building features an austere line of great elegance, with emphasis on the tile decoration of the joanino and pombalino periods. In the 70’s of the twentieth century, this Palace has been adapted to host the City’s Museum, now known as Lisbon’s Museum.  It has a vast collection of archeology, painting, drawing, printmaking, lapidary, which illustrates Lisbon’s history from the earliest periods, as the pre-history and the Romanization, to the nineteenth century, through the baroque and pombalina city, highlighting the city’s large scale model of reconstruction before the 1755 earthquake.
The palace also features thematic rooms on several periods of Lisbon’s history. The recovery of Jardim de Cerimónias and Mata covered mostly the landscaping and afforestation preserving almost in full the initial delineation of eighteenth-century green areas.

Valle Flor Palace

It was built in the late nineteenth century by José Luis Constantino Dias, a northern farmer who made
his fortune in the former colony of São Tomé e Principe, and received the title of Marquês de Valle Flor, from King D. Carlos.

The Valle Flor Palace was commissioned to the Italian architect Nicola Bigaglia, who was involved in the project between 1905 and 1906, however, from 1910 it is the architect José Ferreira da Costa who continues to monitor all works, highlighting the new divisions and the stables. It is known that the drawings of some details of this palace were made by architect Miguel Ventura Terra. The interior is sumptuous, it has been executed by the best artists at the time, who left their mark across the magnificent ornamentation.

The palace is filled with hardwoods, despite the import ban that was in effect at the time.
To overcome this problem, the resourceful owner had built the vessels in the banned exotic woods, which were dismantled when arriving in Lisbon and then used in the palace.
It is also known that the top floor has been added later to allow the Marquês the sight of the Prazeres cemetery, where they buried their two daughters. It is noted that in 1977, the government proposed to transfer its headquarters to Valle Flor Palace, releasing the Belém Palace for Parliament Members. The Palace was acquired in 1992 by the Pestana Group and from then on going through restoration and adaptation works, according to Manuel Mullet’s project to requalify it as a hotel. In 1997, it was classified a National Monument.

Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Misty Fest 2014



Misty Fest was “born” in Sintra, in 2010. In its first two editions it has established a reputation of a festival with markedly different characteristics: a clear focus in some fields under explored by other festivals, such as the most notable singer-songwriters of nowadays or music from the lusophony universe.

The Misty Fest starts today with Maria de Medeiros and a special session celebrating the 30th anniversary of "Blitz" magazine, giving us music till the end of next week.

Come and enjoy the most memorable lyrics of some of the best contemporary Portuguese and International songwriters in seated comfort, something impossible to find at most summer festivals.

Find out all about the festival’s agenda, there are performances not to be missed!

Monday, 3 November 2014

A palatial live. 8 Palaces to visit


Lisbon with its history has a substantial collection of ancient palaces, aristocratic and bourgeois residences, which can now be visited.

Some of the best examples were built for summer residences or farmhouses, as the majority were located on the surroundings of Lisbon, at the time of their construction. Several of these sumptuous buildings became state property, by purchase or donation and hosted many types of services related to the government.

Despite the change in use, some of the original features were kept and one can perceive the taste and lifestyle of the elites of old Lisbon.

In order to “relive” this era, during this week we present you with 8 palaces which will surely deserve your visit, transporting you to a Lisbon that many do not know existed.

1 - Galveias Palace

It was the Country House of Marquês de Távora, since its construction in the seventeenth century to the fallTávoras Affair. At that time, the property included extensive grounds to the south and west. In 1801, it was bought by D. João de Melo Almada e Castro, the fifth Conde das Galveias name under which the property is known today. Despite having experienced big refurbishments, especially indoors, it remains as one of the best examples of non-urban mansions that survived the earthquake. In addition to the rectangular courtyard, which has kept the original design, the highlights are the monochromatic figurative theme with historical tile panels’ scenes, by Leopoldo Battistini, particularly observable in the lobby with a semicircular auditorium in the vaulted ceiling, and the outdoors panels with images of the Portuguese Kings.
from grace of the family in 1759, when all their goods were confiscated by the Crown under the infamous
Purchased by the Lisbon’s City Hall in 1930, the palace now houses the City Hall’s Central Library, with exhibition galleries and a public garden.

2 - Beau Séjour Palace

The Beau Séjour Palace was built by the Viscondessa da Regaleira in 1849, on Quinta das Campainhas. Later acquired by Barão da Glória, who undertook some changes, especially in the Palace’s facade, now covered with tile and an amplified garden. After his death, his nephews and heirs made a profound remodeling of the interior, hiring the brothers Bordallo Pinheiro: Maria Augusta, Rafael and Columbano, and the decorator Francisco Vilaça, to carry out this task. The Quinta das Campainhas was left to the family Dias Almeida, who around the 70s of the last century sold it to the Maristas, who installed in the palace the administrative services of the College. The palace and the garden come into the ownership of the City Hall, who undertakes the huge restoration and today one can admire the famous ceiling of the Salão Dourado (Golden Hall), a painted screen by Columbano Bordallo Pinheiro named The Carnival of Venice, an ornamental sink by Rafael Bordallo Pinheiro and the ceiling of the Galeria de Pintura, painted by Francisco Vilaca, among other decorative details of interest. Since 1992, the Gabinete de Estudos Olisiponeneses works in this space.

Source: AgendaLX